Do you want to get rid of mold and mildew on the walls and you want them to never reappear? Learn here everything you need to know to win the war against mildew and toxic black mold.
Always read the instructions on the label and in the manual of the KefaWash disinfectant, anti-mildew, anti-mold and bacteria. Also you are advised the use protection glasses and rubber gloves. KefaWash is harmless to you, as it contains no toxoids - but the mold does.
- The mold and mildew on the wall can be removed in 4 simple steps: To start, you need to prepare a solution with water and KefaWash.
- There are a variety of methods to prevent mildew on the walls and mold, but the only strategy that works always and in a preventive manner we explain here, and it is not installing an electric dehumidifier.
Mildew and mold are the terror of households. There are lots of cleaning products that promise to help remove and prevent them from reappearing. But this is not the truth, since mold and humidity always come back. Also these cleaners are chemical compounds that are just as harmful as the mold itself. Mildew and mold on walls and other surfaces are harmful to health, so it is important to solve the root problem. Here's a quick guide, in just 4 steps, explaining how to clean mold from the walls in your house.
What are mildew and mold and why are they appearing on the walls
• Mold is a fungal species that forms from spores in the air. It grows in warm, moist environments with poor ventilation. Mold loves moisture. Without it, mold cannot survive and expand, so it is important not to leave the bathroom with tainted windows, wet walls and towels. The main causes are humidity and lack of ventilation. Sometimes mold growth may be due to cracks in the tiles or tile joints that are bad. In a wet bathroom, mold has therefore very good growing conditions and may extend into the structures behind the tiles. In addition it may also be due to a leak in a pipe internally or externally.
• The most common mold are those that appear on the walls as black spots, covering more and more area, if not combated. Mold thrives in places where there is moisture. The mold spores flying in the air can only begin to grow when they land in a place where there is enough moisture.
• In houses mold can e.g. grow in and on:
- Wallpaper paste
- Paper and cardboard, for example wallpaper and cardboard layer of plasterboard
- Untreated wood and wood-based products, for example Masonite
- Organic insulation
- Fabric and leather
- Dust and dirt
The mold can also grow either on top of a material or partially within the material.
Mold can, however, as well grow on inorganic materials such as concrete or glass, if they are very humid and dirty.
How to remove mold from the walls in 4 steps:
Caution: Mold can cause allergic reactions and affect health. If your walls are completely covered with mold (over 3m2) please take contact to a specialist. To clean a small area, use goggles, gloves and a mask, as contact with the spores can be detrimental. Open the windows or turn on a fan while you're cleaning. Our product KefaWash is very effective, and we recommend to carefully read the instructions on the label and also the manual "How to use" before starting.
- Start by preparing a mixture of KefaWash and water (we recommend using one part of KefaWash and two parts of water).
- Apply the KefaWash mixture on surfaces affected by the mold with a sponge, soft brush or spray and clean the area gently. Leave the solution on for 20 minutes. Wash the surface with clean water before KefaWash has dried.
- Spray the area again with the KefaWash mixture. Wait until KefaWash mixture has dried. When KefaWash has dried, it forms small crystals on the surface, which prevent the mold growing on the surface again.
- Treat the surface with KefaRid anti-mold and anti-moisture paint within 24 hours! (If this is not met, the KefaWash treatment should be carried out again).
2 Tips you no longer need:
Once you've removed the mold from the walls with and KefaWash and painted with KefaRid, the step to take measures to prevent the mold from reappearing is now not necessary.
- Consider installing an electric dehumidifier in the most affected areas.
With the application of KefaRid on your walls, it is now not necessary to use expensive equipment to get rid of the moisture, just remember airing twice daily (with efficiency - but short) do not leave the window open all day.
- A Reconstruction of insulation in the walls and ceilings is encouraged, to be less affected by condensation and therefore mold.
KefaRid has some unique insulation properties - these, together with the micro pores that evaporate the moisture much faster, there are then no longer possibilities for the moisture and the mold to return.
9 TIPS - How to avoid the appearance of mold and mildew stains where you have not painted with KefaRid:
- Try to keep bathroom, kitchen and other environments where there is moisture, dry and well ventilated.
- Leave the shower curtain stretched and hang up towels when you need to dry them.
- Fix leaks as soon as you detect them, to prevent the moisture to progress in corners and below the floor.
- Close the door to the bathroom when showering. Do not take too long baths. Wipe after a bath, use a soft rubber scraper, which also comes into the joint and wipe with a dry cloth afterwards.
- Wipe water from the floor. Ensure good ventilation. Newer bathrooms have mechanical ventilation, if you do not have one, ventilate thoroughly. But do not let the window remain open.
- Switch on the heating, underfloor heating is really good. Hang towels, so they dry quickly, for example on the radiator or heated towel rail, ventilate or hang them out in the open. Do not dry clothes in the bathroom.
- Remove soap residue and dirt that mold thrives in.
- Clean the soft joints with 1 cup vinegar to 1 cup water to remove limescale deposits as molds feed on these. Check regularly that the mechanical ventilation is working, hold a piece of thin paper against it, if it holds it, it functions adequately.
- Check periodically that the soft joints, does not have any leakage and have not begun to crumble. They must be changed maybe every five years, depending on how much the bathroom is being used, you can fairly easily replace the joint yourself.
Now you know how to remove mold from the walls of your house so they do not reappear. It is a very common problem, and now you know how to resolve it, share your knowledge with others who have problems with mold and mildew.
KefaWash and KefaRid works forever and does not contain toxic components
All Kefa products are environmentally friendly!